Independent Fire Company

News & Events

2017 Call Stats
Apr 33
May 45
Jun 33
Jul 29
Aug 29
Sep 31
Oct 57
Nov 40
Dec 47
Jan 55
Feb 31
Mar 64
Total 494

2018 Call Stats
Apr 28
May 38
Jun 18
Jul 37
Aug 33
Total 154    

LOSAP Annual Calls (Must make 10% of Total)
Jan 55
Feb 31
Mar 64
Apr 28
May 38
Jun 18
Jul 37
Aug 33
Sep 0
Oct 0
Nov 0
Dec 0
Total 304

Past Call Stats
2017 494
2016 364
2015 346
2014 369
2013 366
2012 354

Mount Kisco Ancients Fife & Drum Corps

Visitors Today
Visitors Since
December 4, 2006

First Responder From Mount Kisco Saves The Life Of Heart Attack Victim
Email Email Print Print PDF PDF RSS RSS Facebook Google+ Twitter

By Ex-Captain Peter Hughes, Jr.
September 25, 2017

From the Mount Kisco Daily Voice

First Responder From Mount Kisco Saves The Life Of Heart Attack Victim
Zak Failla

MTA officials with the Westchester first responders that helped save a life on the New Haven Line.

MTA officials with the Westchester first responders that helped save a life on the New Haven Line. Photo Credit: Contributed
WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. - A team of heroes from Westchester County were celebrated on Monday for their roles in saving a passenger’s life on a Metro-North train earlier this year.

MTA Metro-North announced on Monday that three first-responders from the railroad’s Grand Central Terminal Fire Brigade, a Metro-North engineer, and conductor have been recognized for saving the life of a passenger who went into cardiac arrest on a train in July.

Minutes after the 4:45 p.m. New Haven line train left Grand Central Terminal on July 19, a customer knocked on the head cab door, alerting officials that a man on board had passed out and may have suffered a seizure.

The train’s conductor, John O’Brien, assisted the man, while the train’s engineer, Danielle Bonge stopped the train to place a call to the rail control center, letting them know that a passenger was in medical distress.

“When I got back to the train car, I saw a man lying in the aisle, and another customer, who identified himself as a doctor, administering CPR,” O’Brien said after being told the man was having a heart attack.

According to the MTA, O’Brien climbed over several seats to get to the man in distress and radioed a call to the rail control center to tell them of the circumstances and alert them that they needed to make a reverse move back into Grand Central Terminal. An emergency call was also broadcast by Bonge asking anyone with a medical background to make their way to the car where the man was suffering the heart attack.

Following that public address, Mount Kisco resident James Tipa, a Fire EMS officer and Andrew Seicol, an assistant fire chief for the Grand Central Terminal Fire Brigade jumped into action, driving one of their brigade’s electric carts from the unit’s firehouse into the terminal to meet the train at the platform.

Less than three minutes after receiving the radio distress call of the heart attack, the two Westchester residents were at the scene.

“We quickly began working with the MTA Police Department on the patient who was in cardiac arrest,” Seicol said.

After having the conductors clear the car, Seicol began ventilation with a bag valve mask, providing the man suffering the cardiac arrest with supplemental oxygen, while medical professionals on the train administered CPR. Tipa then applied AED to analyze the heart rhythm. After delivering a single jolt, and several cycles of chest compressions, a pulse was located in the man by those medical professionals.

“It was a great outcome,” Tipa said. “The man suddenly regained consciousness, and he seemed lucid and aware. The train’s engineer, the MTA Police, the good people on the train, the Fire Brigade, we all came together and averted a tragedy.”

As the man regained consciousness, an FDNY EMS team arrived at the platform to transport him to an area hospital.

“I’ve been an EMT for eleven years and a firefighter for more than twelve years,” Seicol, who also serves as a volunteer firefighter in Westchester County, said. “I’ve responded to a number of cardiac events like this one, and this is the first one where a patient completely regained consciousness while we were still on-scene. It was great teamwork and a remarkable moment.”

No Caption
No Caption

Comment Comment 0 Comment(s)

Content Proudly Maintained By Contact Info Website Designed and Hosted By

Independent Fire Company
322 Lexington Ave.
Mount Kisco, NY 10549

Emergency Dial 911
Station: 914-666-3909
Station Fax: 914-666-3991
Firehouse Solutions
Copyright © 2018 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)